We are in our summer redux now, so Berry spent some quality time on the patio while I was reading cookbooks selecting a nice braise for the beef shanks I picked up today at Berkeley Bowl. I heard it would cool down in a couple days and I’ve been itching for some slow food. I’ll prepare the shanks tomorrow and post the recipe. For tonight, though, I have some sushi — Berkeley Bowl carries excellent packaged sushi that is made behind the counter — and lemon chicken, a prepared item I have not yet seen there. The prepared food at Berkeley Bowl is superior to anything found at the chain supermarkets, by the way, even the fancy-schmantzy ones, like Andronico’s. Personally, I think the prepared food at Andronico’s is awful, and the prices unconscionable. They manage to take quality ingredients and turn them into sodden messes, in many cases. I suppose the old adage about a fool and his money applies, though, since Andronico’s does not want for patrons. My dislike for this chain knows no bounds.
- Best banana bread recipe really is
- Yo Sushi is Good, but Yo Nacho is a Problem
- New York Cult Recipes: Cookbook Review
- Downsizing, or Why I Buy Ben & Jerry’s, Where a Pint is a Pint is a Pint
- Do Most Plug-in Grilled Cheese Makers Stink?
- Caramel in a Pinch
- The CSA Experience: Part 6
- The CSA Experience: Part 5
What do you want to see?